Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Nightingale


The Nightingale
by Kristin Hannah

This is a World War II novel set in German  occupied France. It follows the lives of two sisters and the decisions they were forced to make during a time that the Nazis had taken over every aspect of their country. They are very different from each other and their paths seemed very different but I think that by the end they learned that they were not as different as they thought.

To be honest I was a little hesitant about reading another WWII book. The last few I have read have not been that great. I kept seeing this book being recommended though, so I decided to give it a chance. I sure am glad I did. I thought this was a really touching story and I feel like I learned a lot about the German occupation of France. I can't even imagine living through an experience like that, let alone risking your life to fight against them.

The best thing about this book for me was the ending. Did everything end happily ever after? No, it was about WWII after all. There was definitely some ugly crying involved, but it showed that there were good people who made a real difference. Even if it was a small difference, it was important. There is a lot to be said about our ability to help those around us even in it feels like we aren't making much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment