Sunday, June 4, 2017

Elantris


Elantris
By Brandon Sanderson

This should come as no surprise to you if you are familiar with me or Sanderson's writing, this book was amazing! I think the introduction at the beginning of this book explains his success as a writer best when  he said that Sanderson owes his success to the small human stories inside his epics. They are what make his books so great. He makes you care so much about his characters that you just have to read more. This book kept me up late finishing it because I just had to know how it ended. I haven't done that it years. My kids' 6 am wake up call came very early that morning.

This was an action filled story that I did not wan to put down. It was definitely worth losing a little sleep over. Princess Sarene has arrived in Kae, only to learn that the man she is supposed to marry is dead. But the truth is that he isn't really dead, he has just become an Elantrian, dead in a way but still alive. There are forces at work trying to take control of the City and they may be the only ones who can save them all.

The magic in this book is so different from anything else he as written and I found it captivating. I am amazed at his ability to create so many unique stories. None of them are the same. Well they are the same in that he creates characters that you grow to love and care about. I loved the characters in this book. Princess Sarene is strong, witty and determined. All characteristics I love seeing in a female heroine. Prince Raoden is kind, wise and intelligent. He was everything I would want a Prince to be and the perfect match to Sarene. I could go on and on. There are so many great characters in this book. It is what makes the story so great.

I am kind of bummed that this is the only book, so far, with these characters. I guess I can keep my fingers crossed that he will eventually bring these characters back so that I can learn more about Elantris and the magic that it holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment