Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Cosmere Collection



I finally finished the last three short stories in Brandon Sanderson's Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection. They all took place in different systems, on different worlds and all had different forms of magic involved. I am always so impressed by Brandon Sanderson's imagination. He comes up with so many unique and interesting concepts dealing with magic.



White Sand

This story takes place in a world where certain people have the ability to move sand. It contains and excerpt from his Graphic novel of the same name and a short story that goes along with it. I thought the story itself was really fascinating and fun to read. I wish this was a regular novel because I honestly preferred the story to the graphic novel. Don't get me wrong, the graphic novel was cool but I love his writing so much. His descriptions really make a story come to life, even more then pictures can do, at least for me. I would love to read more from this world.



Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

On this world there are Ghost everywhere that are attracted to blood and violence. They will kill anyone with a wound, the person who attacked the person and all those around them. This story was a little too violent for me and I didn't enjoy it as much as his other stories. It is quite an interesting concept but I guess it wasn't really my cup of tea.



Sixth of the Dusk

This was by far the strangest world Sanderson has created. Islands filled with deadly creatures and plants. Predators who hunt by sensing other's minds. Birds that have special abilities then can bestow on humans. I liked how he explores the idea of technological advancement, human exploration and the environment. I ended up really liking where this story went even though it was kind of a bizarre world for me. I think this story really makes you think and that is definitely a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment