Thursday, April 27, 2017

Still Alice


Still Alice
by Lisa Genova

This was such a fantastic book. I could not put it down. It is so well written and does an amazing job of giving you a glimpse into the world of someone suffering from Alzheimer's disease.  This story is about a 50 year old women, a brilliant college professor, who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease and follows her through the progression of the disease. I found it to be both heart breaking and eye opening. I think that the saddest part for me was how people acted differently around her when they found out and just how isolated she felt. It would be so hard to watch a family member lose their ability to remember but it would also be so difficult to know that you were going to eventually forget the people close to you. I think that this book can really help those who haven't experienced this disease better understand, not only what their families go through, but what those who have the disease are feeling. I really love books like this that can help people sympathize and hopefully react better to mental illness. The more we understand, the better we can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment