Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Heartless


Heartless
By Marissa Meyer

I was so excited to read this book, written by the same author who gave us the Lunar Chronicles. I loved that series so much and a book based in Wonderland seemed like a really fun idea. This story takes place before Alice's visit and introduces you to many of the beloved characters history. I always like a good back story. Who doesn't want to learn more about what made a person who they are? This was a fun story with plenty of whimsy and nonsense that you would expect in a story which takes place in Lewis Carroll's Wonderland.

This was not my favorite of her books though and I actually struggled a little bit to get through it. I should probably make a little confession before I continue. I am not a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland. I'm not particularly fond of the cartoon or the book. It's not that I disliked the book or anything, it's just not a book I would list as a favorite or even choose to reread. So now that that's out there, it shouldn't be shocking that I felt the same way about this book. The story was entertaining and the plot interesting but I just didn't love it.

A few positives about this book: I loved that she stayed true to the original feel of wonderland. I really did feel like I was in the same world created by Lewis Carroll. There were a couple characters that I particular loved, The Cheshire cat and Jest. They were perfect for this story.

My negatives: I found the main character to be frustrating. She was constantly going on about her big dreams and how she would do anything to make them happen but she spends most of the book just trying to avoid things. She was just so passive aggressive it was frustrating. Second, the ending was just so depressing. I mean I knew it was about the Queen of Hearts, based on the title, but it was so sad. I'm just not a huge fan of sad ending I guess.

So there it is. I thought this was a creative story and I enjoyed the book, I just didn't love it like I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment