Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Hammer of Thor


Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor
Rick Riordan

This is the second book in this series about Viking mythology. I loved the first one so I was really looking forward to continue the story with these characters. They are just such a fun group. This story jumps right in where the last book left off. We know that Thor's Hammer is missing and they are given the mission of finding it and returning it to Thor. This was definitely a fun story. Filled with humor and action, all the things I loved about the first book.

I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first book though, and I can't really pinpoint why. I do think that he pushed the whole transgender/ fluid identity a little too heavy.  It seemed like that became the focus of the book, instead of the plot. The social commentary seemed a bit much for a kid's book. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for broaching social issues in Children's books, I just thought this was a little over the top.

But don't worry that didn't keep me from enjoying the story. I still really like the characters. I still think Magnus is Hilarious. I like that we got to learn more about Hearthstone, The deaf Elf, and his past. It kept my attention easily and I'm looking forward to the next book, when it comes out in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment