Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Lady Susan


Lady Susan
by Jane Austen

I recently learned that their was a book written by Jane Austen that was published after her death and that I had never read. I knew I wanted to check it out because I really enjoy all of her stories.

This was a very short story and I easily finished it in one morning. It is written in letter format and I actually really enjoyed reading the letters they wrote back and forth to one another. This book was unfinished at the time of her death so the last part is basically a summary of her notes on how she planned on finishing the story. For me, this made the story fill a little incomplete. It is missing the details and emotion that is so evident in the letter part of the book. So while you learn what happens to everyone in the end I can't help but feel a little sad that I don't get to read exactly how it all came to past. That being said it was still worth reading.


On a side note I tried watching the Movie based on this story, Love and Friendship, but I just couldn't get through it. I found myself getting bored and I hated the acting. I understand it must be hard to make a movie that is based on a series of letters but I just did not enjoy what they did. When the movie I borrowed from the Library stopped working in my Blu-ray player I decided to give up and return the movie with out finishing it. But really that was just a really good reason to stop watching a movie I just couldn't get into. Even if I could find I working copy, I would not try re-watching it. So Read the book and skip the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment