Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Light Between Oceans


The Light Between Oceans
by M.L. Stedman

I saw the trailer for this movie and as soon as a learned that it was based on a book, I knew I wanted to read it. This novel tells the story of a couple, who live on an Island with a lighthouse and one day discover a boat on shore with a dead man and a baby. The wife, unable to have children of her own wants to keep the baby and despite his misgivings the husband relents. Later when they return to the main land they soon learn that their decision has devastated another.

I thought this was a really interesting plot and I enjoyed reading this book. But at the same time I didn't love the story. It is such a tragic story and everyone involved, including the young child ends up suffering because of their decision to hide the truth. It just made me really sad and it didn't help that I didn't really like the wife very much. I think I was supposed to be sympathetic to her plight but I thought she was very selfish and uncaring. I mean I get that she had suffered through 3 miscarriages, which is tragic, but for me that really didn't justify her behavior.

There was a moment during my reading that I thought I was going to hate where the story was going but the ending saved it for me. I thought the ending was exactly what this story needed to make it worth my time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment