Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Bourne Identity


The Bourne Identity
by Robert Ludlum

Both my husband and I really like the Bourne Movies. We had a Bourne Movie marathon a month or so ago to get ready for the new one that just came out. As we were watching the movies it inspired me to try reading one of the books. I thought I might learn more about Bourne and his past in more detail then was given in the movies.

Well it turns out that the book and the movie have very little in common. And for once I enjoyed the movie more then the book. Things that are similar: he is found floating at sea, injured and with no memories, he goes to a bank in Zurich, there is an organization called Treadstone, he meets and falls in love with Marie. Things that are different: his past, his purpose before he lost his memory and basically everything else in the movie.

I did not love the writing in this book and had a really hard time getting through it. It was very slow moving and a little bit repetitive. The ending was anti-climatic and I kind of wish there had been a little more closure. Of course then there probably couldn't have been other books in the series. But what bothered me the most in this book was how quickly Marie seemed to forget how brutal he was to her. One minute she was terrified of him and the next she was madly in love. He hurt her physically, threatened to killer, basically kidnapped her and abused her and the next thing you know she has falling in love with him, just because he came back and saved her life. I just didn't buy it. There needed to be more development of their love story.

Things I did find interesting was the story behind his creation and purpose. It was a very interesting concept and I kind of wish now that they had stuck to that in the movie. It is the main reason that I finish the book. I just really wanted him to learn the truth so he would stop feeling so guilty about being an assassin, thinking he had done some terrible things.

I don't plan on reading the rest of the books in this series. I will just stick to the movies from now on.



1 comment:

  1. i know what we like to read is different but I really liked the Bourne series. I know they are nothing like the movies but I like these type of books.

    ReplyDelete