Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Candymakers


The Candymakers
by Wendy Mass

This was a fun book about 4 kids who enter a contest to create a new candy. At first I had a hard time really getting into this story but as I learned more about the characters it got more interesting.

The story is told from the perspective of each contestant. The first person we get to follow is the Candymaker's son. I found the story got a lot more interesting once it switched to the other kids' points of view. For each contestant, the story started back at the beginning, when they all first met so you basically read about the same 2 days 4 times. It was neat to read about the same events but from each kid's perspective. It really is a great illustration of how your perspective can truly change how events are viewed. It is so easy to judge others and their actions when you don't know them or what they are going through.

I know some have compared this to Charlie and Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl but I don't feel like there is really a comparison here. The only similarities are that they story takes place at a Candy Factory.

This is definitely geared towards children so for me the writing just wasn't that exciting. But I think this would be a really fun book for a younger crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment