Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Shadows of Shelf


Shadows of Self; A Mistborn Novel
by Brandon Sanderson

It should come as no surprise to you that I loved this book. I know I have said this in the past but Brandon Sanderson is a fantastic writer. His characters are well developed and the story is complex yet still easy to follow.

This is the fifth book in the Mistborn series or second book of the second sequence of books set in the same world. (hahaha, was that a confusing sentence.) It follows the same characters of the last book, about a year after those events. It has been quite a while since I read the last one and even longer since I read the original 3 in the series but it was easy for me to keep up with the characters and what was going on. I do kind of wish I had reread the first 4 before this, only because it really made me want to read them again.

I liked that this book stuck with the steampunk feel from the last book and I have to say these are probably my favorite books written in that style. I've read a few others but they just weren't quite as riveting as this series. I also liked that some of the characters and elements from the first 3 Mistborn novels made an appearance in these books. Even though these take place hundreds of years later, I think anyone who loved the Mistborn series will also love the second series he has created in this world. And those fans will love seeing some familiar faces!

I will definitely getting the last book in this series ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment