Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Turtle of Oman


The Turtle of Oman
by Naomi Shihab Nye

My oldest came home on his last day of second grade with a list of book recommendations for third grade. He has struggled some this year with reading comprehension so I wanted to get him reading more and thinking about what he read. This was one of the books on his list so we checked out from the Library so he could give it a go.

I was curious what types of books were recommended for third graders so I decided to read it myself also. I actually really enjoyed this book. It was a sweet tale of a young boy who is moving to America from Oman. He spends the last week in Oman with his Grandfather visiting and exploring the places they love best. He loved his home and did not want to leave it and his grandfather did his best to help prepare him for his big move. I thought the emotions in this story were very real and relatable. This would be a great book for a child to read who might be facing a move of their own. I also thought it was a great introduction to a different country and culture. It really shows that no matter where we are from, we aren't so different after all. We may have grown up loving different foods, different adventures and different people but we all have those special connections in our lives that make us who we are.

I wish I could say that my son enjoyed this book just as much but he had a hard time understanding what was going on. I think this book maybe still be a little too difficult for him to read. He just wasn't that interested in the story. He also tends to gravitate towards fantasy type books so we switched back to his favorite Magic Tree House Books to help get him more motivated to read and make his reading comprehension a little easier to learn. If you have any other suggestions of books that may be good for him to try, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment