Saturday, June 18, 2016

Go Set a Watchman


Go Set a Watchman
by Harper Lee

I have been wanting to read this book for a while. I was curious to see what happened to all the characters in To Kill A Mocking Bird and to read the second book written by Harper Lee.

Unfortunately I really did not enjoy reading this book. It was really hard for me to get through and I just found it very uninteresting. The style of writing was hard for me to follow. She cuts back and forth between the past and present and it made for a very choppy read. I've read other books that jump between the past and present that transitioned much smoother. I found myself wanting to skim through parts of this book and felt like I didn't really understand everything she talked about.

I didn't think there were any likable characters in the book. I wasn't even a fan of Scout. Why does a strong women have to be portrayed as thoughtless and pushy. I don't think that to be considered strong and independent that a women needs to be high handed or unkind.

I was also disappointed it the plot. Nothing really happened in the book and I felt like the story really didn't go anywhere. Scout discovers something about her father that upsets her and she finds unforgivable but in the end she decides she still loves him. That's the entire book.

The one good thing I can say about this book was that it was an interesting look at Racism in the South at that time. A way to understand how they were feeling about changing world around them. The fight for State rights versus Federal rules. I thought it was a good look into the mind of a group of people who grew up believing they were better then Blacks.

And I liked the chapter where Scout talks to her uncle about her fight with her Father. I like how she discovers that she can still love her father even if they don't always see things eye to eye. She grew up believing that everything her father believed  she also believe, so it was shocking for her to learn that wasn't necessarily true. I think that was a very insightful discovery. That it is important to be our own individual and not let our identity be defined by somebody else.

So there I did get something out of this book but it was still very hard to get through. I can't say that I liked the book but I didn't totally hate it either...




No comments:

Post a Comment