Monday, June 20, 2016

A Monster Calls


A Monster Calls
by Patrick Ness

There are so many things I want to say about this book. This was a fantastically written story. It touched my heart and I won't soon forget it.

This book started as a concept by the Author, Siobhan Dowd, who died of cancer before she could write the book. Patrick Ness was asked to write the story in her place and I am so glad he choose to take on this task. This was such a great book and I feel like everyone could gain something by reading this book.

This book is a bout a thirteen year old boy whose mother is being treated for Cancer. He begins to be visited by a monster, who tells him three stories. I loved this concept. What a brilliant way to approach the topic of cancer.

I absolutely loved the stories that the monster tells and the lessons the boy needs to learn. It shows that we often are faced with conflicting emotions that are hard to reconcile. It deals with all the emotions you can image a young boy facing, whose mother has cancer. I cried. a lot. It was just such a touching story.

I would also like to add that the illustrations are the perfect addition to this book. They are dark, creepy and haunting. They add so much and really reflect the feelings being portrayed in this novel.

I would highly recommend this book. It is so beautifully written. You don't want to miss this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment