Wednesday, August 5, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See


All The Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr

I was supposed to read this book for book club a couple months ago but there was a very long hold list at the Library. I didn't receive the book until about a week ago. I really wanted to like this book but I ended up being a bit disappointed. Especially with the ending. For some reason I did not like the ending at all. I think it might be because I spent so much time getting to know these characters and building up to how it would all work out, and then it wrapped up so quickly. There were just a couple chapters at the end about the characters years later after the War had ended. It just wasn't enough and was kind of a let down for me.

Also I know that this was a story about WWII and a lot of people suffered and died but I found the ending of this book especially depressing. Maybe he was trying to illustrate the damaging efect of war. Either way I became so invested in the characters, I just didn't like how they ended up.

This was also a hard book to get through. It was very long and jumped between characters so often that it seemed to take a long time for anything to happen. The story follows two main characters, with one other person thrown in about half way through. One chapter would be about the blind French girl, marie-Laure, and the next would be about Werner, the intelligent young German boy. The chapters are very short, which I actually really like, but it also meant that not much happened thus making the story move slower. (Short chapters are great for reading when you have kids because it was easy to squeeze a few chapters in between taking care of them.)

What I liked about the book was the new perspective I got about World War two. It was so interesting to read about what it was like in France and also what it was like to be a member of the Hitler youth. It is a good reminder that not everyone was thrilled with what was happening in Germany but there was little they could do about it. Especially the young and poor. I became very attached to the two main characters and liked how they ended up being connect in the end. I just wish it had ended slightly differently.


1 comment: