Saturday, April 11, 2015

Marie Antoinette


Marie Antoinette: The Journey
By Antonia Fraser

This was our Book Club read for the month of March. I was finally able to finish it this week. It is a really long book, plus we went on vacation, so it took me a couple weeks to get through the entire book.

I found Marie Antoinette's story to be quite fascinating. She really seems to be a misunderstood historical character and a victim of the era she lived in. The first part of the book moved rather slow for my taste. In fact the entire book was a hard for me to get through because of the style of writing. The best way I can think to describe it is that it is a very scholarly book and is written like a text book. There were times I wasn't even sure I understood what was being described. But I pushed through and as her story began to unfold I became more and more interested in finishing the book. I can't say that it became easier to read but it was definitely more interesting when the Political turmoil began. I knew what her fate was going to be but it was really fascinating to read about all the events that lead up to that moment. Really I felt very sorry for her by the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment