Thursday, October 30, 2014

Steelheart

It has been a couple months since I managed to read the book club selection and so it has been a while since I did a book club post.

This month I actually managed to read the book for October, Steelheart. It definitely helped that the Library had the book on it's shelf because I'm still waiting for last months book to arrive...


Steelheart
by Brandon Sanderson

I was very excited to read this book. Brandon Sanderson is one of my all time favorite Fantasy writers. Seriously all of his books are fantastic so I had no doubt that this one would be just as good. I was not disappointed. I finished this book in a couple days even with a newborn at home to take care of.

I found this story fascinating. The world has experienced an event called Calamity, which has caused the appearance of people with special powers. They are called Epics and they use their abilities to terrify, kill and rule over everyone else. This story takes place in what was once know as Chicago and follows a young man who watched his father be killed by a powerful Epic named Steelheart. Steelheart now rules the City and  David is determined to find his weakness and get revenge. In order to bring Steelheart down, David joins a group called the Reckoners, who make it there mission to take out Epics.

Brandon Sanderson is a fantastic story teller. I was completely caught up in the story and the characters.  I thought it was interesting that all those gifted with special powers used them for evil purposes. Some people still believed there would be some Epics who would eventually use their powers for good and save the world but for 10 years that had not happened. It makes you wonder just what would happen if you could do and have anything you want with out consequences. Why did every person who gained these abilities choose to use them for such terrible purposes?

One thing I really liked about this book is that even though it is part of a series, it ended well and didn't leave me hanging too much. This was a great read and I can't wait to read the next book in the series to see what happens next. 


Next Months book is 

Sarah's Key
by Tatiana de Rosnay

No comments:

Post a Comment