Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gone Girl



Gone Girl 
by Gillian Flynn

This is yet another book being turned into a movie soon. I decided to give it a try to see why so many people are talking about this book. This novel is about a women who goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary and her husband becomes the prime suspect.

I have been reading so many young adult novels recently, it was nice to read something written for adults. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book. There was more language then I like (mostly the F-word, which was a pretty consistent part of the dialogue through out the book) and plenty of references about sex. Why do adult novels always feel like they have to include these things?

That being said I ended up really getting into the story. It took a little while for the story to completed grab my attention, but once it did I couldn't put this book down. There is a twist right in the middle of the story, which makes you completely rethink how you view the different characters, and I was completely hook at that point. I just had to find out how the story turned out.

I also found the way she wrote about their relationship to be fascinating. It was interesting to read from both their perspectives the ups and then the downs of their marriage. It reminded me that problems almost always go both ways and that two people can see the same situation in a completely different light.

So, I really enjoyed reading this book, until I got to the end.  I was disappointed with the way the story ended. It was not how I imagined it's conclusion. To be honest, I thought it was a bit depressing. It didn't ruin the book for me but I still wish it could have ended slightly differently. I heard that for the movie she changed the ending. I am interested in seeing what direction she went for the movie. Maybe I will like the new ending better.

No comments:

Post a Comment