Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Ocean at The End of the Lane

I managed to read the book this months book club. Thankfully it was a quick, easy read and I was able finish it all in one day.


The Ocean at The End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman

This story definitely wasn't what I expected. Although it is by Neil Gaiman so I should have assumed that it would have a supernatural and unpredictable story line. I think that is why I enjoy reading his books so much. They are always so unique and create such an interesting view of the world.

I can't say that this was my favorite book of his (I still love The Graveyard Book and Stardust) but the story drew me in and I couldn't put the book down. There were times I found the story to be strange but still fascinating.

We were talking at Book Club and it was interesting that we all agreed that the Villain in the book was scariest in her human form. Once she was in her supernatural form she didn't seem so frightening. It was definitely interesting to read a story about a young boy who has to deal with an adult doing terrible things and having to find a way out. Children are so dependent on adults and it is very easy for adults to make escape from them very difficult.

I really liked the character of Lettie, the young girl he meets, who helps him get free. I think she was a great example of what true friendship means.

I enjoyed this book and it really seems like the story is so much deeper then a man reliving a supernatural event from his childhood. It says so much about childhood, memories, and sacrifice. Is this how the events really happened or is this the way he imagined it has a child, has a way to deal with the change world around him?



Next Months book is...



The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak


No comments:

Post a Comment