Monday, May 12, 2014

The Impossible Knife of Memory


The Impossible Knife of Memory
by Laurie Halse Anderson

Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my all time favorite Young Adult writers. Her books are beautifully written and this one did not disappoint.

This story is about a teen girl who is trying to adjust to high school, while dealing with a Father who suffers from PTSD. This story was raw, emotional, and striking. It was an eye opening look into the lives of people affected by PTSD, especially Veterans of War. Anderson has a gift for creating a world where we get to peak inside someones head to truly understand what they are feeling. These are complex emotions and situations, that can be hard to understand if you have never experienced them. After reading this book I really feel like I have a better understanding of what Soldiers must go through, both in the field and after they come home. Most of the story is told from the girls perspective but there are a few chapters in between that give you a real glimpse into what the War was like for her father. War is not an easy thing to deal with and I thought that these chapters did a very nice job of highlighting the pain that it creates.

I really love Anderson's style of writing and I'm glad I picked this book up from the Library.

Here are a few of her other books that I have read, with links to my reviews:

   

Speak                                     Catalyst                                Wintergirls

No comments:

Post a Comment