Friday, January 31, 2014

The Happiness Project

It is the end of the month so it is time to review the first book for my book club.

I had a blast meeting with all the ladies in my book club. We have such a fun group! We had such fun discussing the book (and life and various other subjects) that we didn't realize just how late it had gotten. I would say that our first meeting was a great success!!!



The Happiness Project
by Gretchen Rubin

I actually read this book at the beginning of the month and what I learned about waiting this long to write a post was that I should have taken notes. ;) Something that she is very good about in the book, so I probably should have followed her example!

I made the mistake of borrowing this book from the Library as an e-book. This gave me only a week to read a self-help book, with 12 chapters. When reading Self-help books, I typically like to take my time and read no more then one chapter a day. Due to my time constraints I did not have that luxury. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had been able to read it at a more leisurely pace.

I do think this was a great book to start off the new year with because it helped me focus a little more on the type of resolutions I would like to make. I did find the number of resolutions she worked on through out the one year a bit overwhelming. I would much rather make a few resolutions and work on them over the entire year, instead of working on several new ones each month.

So here are the things that I thought would be the most important to my happiness:

1) Marriage: Give more Proofs of Love- I want to "date" my husband more by doing little things that show him how much a love him. It is so easy to get lost in the day to life, my resolution is to make sure we don't forget our romance!

2) Parenthood: Acknowledge the reality of people's feelings. For me this means to remember that my kids are young but their feeling are still important. Instead of getting mad when they throw a tantrum, I want to try to better see things from their perspective. I hope this will help me to yell less; listening first, then reacting! In that chapter she talks about being a treasure house of happy memories and that is exactly what I want for my kids. I want them to look back on their childhood with fondness and love.

3) Money: Indulge in a modest splurge, spend out. Our budget is always pretty tight and I find I often overlook myself in favor of buying for others in my life. This chapter really made me realize that it is ok to spend money on myself sometimes. I want to be able to spend money on myself with out that feeling of buyers remorse that often follows my every purchase. If my splurge is modest and doesn't ruin our budget, I really should be ok with it. So my goal this year... do a little more for me. Maybe that is a little but of a selfish resolution but when I think about my happiness, I can see this really affecting me in a positive way!

Did you make any Resolutions this year?



And the book for February is going to be The Giver, By Lois Lowry. I'm excited the read this book. I remember reading his book, Number the Stars, in school and really liking it so I have high hopes for this story.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment