Monday, November 11, 2013

The Book Thief


The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

I kept hearing about this book but never really knew what it was about until I saw a preview for the movie. I was hesitant to read another book about Nazi Germany after my experience reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, a book that I did not like at all. I happened across The Book Thief while browsing the shelves at the Library and decided to go ahead and give it a try.

I am so glad I did! This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. I loved his style of writing and the way he used his words to really paint a picture of what life for one little girl might have been like in Nazis Germany. Words are so important for this little girl, so it seems very appropriate that  he used words so eloquently to create such a touching story.

I think that Death was the perfect narrator for this story and made for a very interesting perspective of war. I knew it was going to have very sad parts, like all stories set during that time, but I like that the author prepares you for those parts long before they happen. I still cried, a lot, but it didn't feel quite so traumatic when I knew it was coming.

I couldn't put this story down and if you haven't read it yet you should. This is definitely one of the best books I've read about Nazis Germany and the Holocaust. I can't say enough good things about this book. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment