Friday, September 6, 2013

A Wrinkle in Time


A Wrinkle in Time 
by Madeleine L'Engle

I can't remember when I first read this book but I'm pretty sure this is the first Sci Fi book I ever read. I found my original copy while sorting through my collection of books during our move. I was trying to decide which books to keep and which ones to find a new home for. I had a lot of books and I just couldn't bring them all with me. This one made the keep pile because I had such fond memories of it!

It has been so long since I last read this story, I decided it was time to read it again. I think that I appreciated the story even more now that I'm a little older and a little wiser (I hope).  I don't remember the religious undertones that last time I read (but that was years ago...) but there were a lot of religious references through out this book. The kids face and evil being that wants to take away everyones free agency, claiming that if everyones decisions where already made for them they could never be unhappy. Sound familiar to anyone else? I thought that the battle between good and evil, that takes place with in  the pages of this book, is really symbolic of our personal battle between what is right and the temptations Satan throws at us.

Even though there was a lot of religious references through out the story, I also though this was a fantastic Sci Fi story. This is an intriguing story about three kids, each special in their own way, who travel through wrinkles in time to different planets to fight evil. I never understood physics very well so it was hard for me to follow the explanation of the fifth dimension and tesseracts (wrinkles in time) but I still found the entire concept fascinating. I loved the different "creatures" or people they met during their adventure and I'm sure that there are even more religious comparisons that can be made there.

I enjoyed rereading this story from my childhood. Are there any books from your childhood you long to read again?

No comments:

Post a Comment