Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
By John Boyne

I knew this would be a sad story before I started it. What story about World War 2 and the Jewish Holocaust isn't? I prepared myself for it. I thought that it would be an interesting look at subject from a young boy's perspective. But I really didn't enjoy this book.

I found it hard to believe that a 9 year old would be quite as naive as he was. That he could be living at Auschwitz, where his father was in charge of the camp, and have no clue what was truly happening there. And the ending was just too depressing( I know it is about a terrible subject but still...) and not really believable to me.

After reading this book I have no desire to ever see this movie, ever. I also have no desire to read this or give this book to my children to read. I know that the back says that this isn't a book for nine year olds but it is certainly written more like a children's book then an adult novel. So I don't really know what to call it. If you want your kids to learn more about the Holocaust have them read The Diary of Anne Frank, I liked that story much better.

It was a very quick, easy read. And the idea of it was interesting. I just didn't enjoy it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment