Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Unglued



Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
by Lysa Terkeurst

A good friend of mine gave me this book to read. She knows me well and knew that I could really use it. I can't count the number of times I have been racked with guilt because I let my emotions control my reactions. I have looked back on those moments trying to figure why something so little caused me to become so "unglued." But in those moments it felt like I couldn't control my reaction and I was starting to think that I would never be able to change. This book helped me to see that I am not the only one who struggles with this and that it is possible to change the way I react. I may not get it right away but I can make progress in the right direction.

I really liked her insights in the scriptures and her personal experiences. They really helped me see that other people struggle the same way I do. I don't often read religious books because I often find them to be too preachy but I didn't feel that way with this book.

My favorite chapter was the one called "Negative inside chatter." Boy, can I relate to this chapter. I have spent days, weeks and even months dwelling on some conversation I had or some comment I made that I was sure made my friends think less of me. I don't think I could even name the number of times I have left a conversation thinking, "Why did I say that, I'm sure I sounded so stupid to them?!" What a comfort it was to know I'm not the only one who allows my thoughts to affect me that why and to realize that my friends really don't think that of me (I hope).

This was such a good reminder for me that I'm not perfect but I can change, I can learn to control my reactions, and that I'm not alone. I would recommend this book to anyone who finds them in situations where they become unglued and feel out of control. I am really hoping it gives me the perspective I need to start that change in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment