Tuesday, February 5, 2013

UnWholly


UnWholly
By Neal Shusterman

This is the sequel to Unwind. I really enjoyed Unwind so I was looking forward to reading this book and I was not disappointed. I thought this story was just as good as the first.

Neal Shusterman has a real talent for story telling. I just love his style of writing. He once again has taken what seems like something that could never really happen in our society and made it seem possible. This story follows the AWOL unwinds from the first book, adds a couple new, interesting characters and continues the story of their fight against the unwinding of teenagers. For those who have not read Unwind yet, unwinding means taking every part of a person and giving it to many other people.

He uses clips of real news articles through out the story to show how the idea that unwinding was the right thing to do could become acceptable in our society. I liked the ads he placed at the beginning of each chapter which portrayed the way media was used to influence the publics views. It was truly fascinating, because isn't that exactly what media, politicians and companies do to sale their idea or products. My favorite quote from the book was, "The sad truth about humanity... is that people believe what they're told. Maybe not the first time, but by the hundredth time, the craziest of ideas just becomes a given." Really makes you think, huh!?

This is such a well written, thought provoking book. I enjoyed every minute of it and was on the edge of my seat (figuratively) the entire time. I looks like I will have to wait at least one more book to see just how it all turns out. I am looking forward to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment