Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Pillars of the Earth



The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

I was finally able to check this e-book out from the Library again so I could finish it. You may remember that I started reading it a couple months ago but was unable to finish in the time allotted.

I have never read historical fiction based in Medieval Times before and I found the story, characters, and era to be fascinating. Ken Follett does an amazing job of painting a picture into the world of Knights, Serfs, Craftsman and the Catholic Church. It was so interesting to see how the decisions of a few powerful men could effect an entire nation of people.

The book follows the story of a Prior of a Monastery, a Master builder and his family, A noblewomen, and an evil local Gentry who wants the local Earldom. It spans a period of nearly 40 years and creates a vivid picture of what it would have been like to build of a Cathedral during a time of uncertainty and civil war.

Even though this book was very long,  I really never grew bored of it. At one point I did get frustrated that the main antagonist continued to spread destruction and pain, but really it showed how one evil man could cause such affliction. He was a brutal, evil man and at times I found it hard to read about him, especially when it was being narrated by him. I would find myself dreading what was coming next when ever I saw his name appear at the beginning of a chapter.

There were a couple graphic rape scenes and a lot of very descriptive sexual references. I would not recommend this book to anyone who does not want those type of scenes ingrained in their mind. It was too much for my taste and I could have done with a little less descriptions and references.


I saw that there is a Miniseries based on this book and I admit that my interest has been peaked.



I think that this story could be a very interesting movie but I am undecided wether it would be worth watching. Has anyone seen this series? Do they stay true to the book? Do the actors portray the characters the way I envision them? Plus, I worry that it may be too graphic for my taste, with too much sex and violence. Should I give it a try?


No comments:

Post a Comment