Thursday, August 23, 2012

Beautiful Creatures


Beautiful Creatures
by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This book is narrated by a young man named Ethan who finds himself draw to the new girl in town, who he has been dreaming about for months. The only problem is that she is the niece of the town recluse and everyone thinks she is strange. As Ethan gets to know Lena he soon discovers that there is more to her then meets the eye. In a small town where nothing ever changes, he begins to discover secrets that could change the course of his life.

At times, while reading this book, I felt like I was watching a scary movie when the character goes down into the basement during a power outage, despite the fact that they know there is danger lurking down there. No there is not a dark, scary basement in the book but there were times I thought to myself, "why are you doing that, everyone keeps telling you it's dangerous!" 

Despite being frustrate by the characters, I have to say that I could not put this book down. I really enjoyed this story. Even though I felt like the dialog / narration wasn't as well written as some other young adult fantasies I have read, I still thought that they did a great job of drawing me into the story. Just like the main character Ethan, I felt like I only understood a small part of what was going on and kept wanting to dig deeper to find the truth. 

I am definitely interested in finding out what happens to the different characters in the next book. This was a great gothic love story. And the cover is gorgeous!

I also heard that they are turning this book into a movie. Could be interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment