Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars
by Edgar Rice Burroughs

I had never heard of this series before the movie came out this year but after seeing the movie I became very interested in finding and reading this book. Yes, both my husband and I liked the movie despite the fact that it did terrible at the box office.

It was writing by the same Author who wrote the Tarzan books. This is a Sci Fi novel write all the way back in 1917. Why I have never heard of this series before I do not know, but the John Carter of Mars series has influenced my authors and filmmakers over the years.

This is the first of 11 books in the John Carter of Mars series. You can find it in digital format for free because it is a classic but I ended up spend a dollar for the first 7 books through the Kindle store. For me it was just easier then trying to find and download the free copy!

Although the story is somewhat different from the movie, I recognized all of the characters and many of the events from the story. It did not bother me that they changes the story for the movie because it still felt like they stayed true to the basic tale. I liked that the book helped me understand the different races of Martians better.  

I really enjoyed this book even if it was a little slow at times. I am looking forward to reading more of these books (since I already have 6 more waiting on my kindle) and I am think I should check out some of his Tarzan books too, since I've never read any of them before.

 If you are interested in reading a Sci Fi classic you should definitely put this on your To Be Read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment