Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races
by Maggie Stiefvater

This is a story about a small Island where horse racing is held on the beach each November. But these are not your typical horses, they are flesh eating sea monsters that the locals catch from the ocean each year. I thought this was a really unique idea for a story so I was excited to read it.

The story is told from the perspective of two different riders. One the returning champion and one the first girl to enter the deadly races. I'm not sure if I really like her style of writing. The story jumps rapidly between these two characters which made it hard for me at first to get into this book. It would be a couple page of Puck and then jump to a page of Sean, which made me feel like I wasn't getting enough information to really understand these characters. It just made me feel like their was more to their past that would help explain what led them to make the decisions they did. 

Really I would have liked more history on the Horse Races and more details about the Water Horses. The story was pretty slow moving, taking the entire book to cover about a month worth of events. But I have to admit that I got caught up in the story. I found the whole idea of man eating horses fascinating. I liked Puck and wanted her to succeed. By the end of the story I finally felt like I understood who these characters were and what they wanted from life. I actually really liked the ending, and I was glad I read the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment