Monday, April 16, 2012

Ender's Game

Ender's Game
by Orson Scott Card

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to reading this book. I have had several people recommend Orson Scott Card to me because I enjoy reading Sci Fi.

I was completely entranced by this book. Seriously, I could not stop thinking about it. I thought about it while I was reading it, when I was at work, as I was trying to fall asleep at night, while I was playing with my kids. 

And that's what I liked about this book. The story was interesting and I wanted to find out the truth. There were so many layers to this story.

This story follows a 6 year old boy as he is taken from his family and sent to battle school, where he is turned into soldier to fight in the upcoming Alien invasion. The young students at the school are forced to fight each other in war games and the adults exploit the situation to push Ender even harder.

 I liked that the story is told (mostly) from Ender's perspective, with only very small adult input, so that facts surrounding the war and the Aliens are not completely clear. You know that the adults are manipulating him, to turn him in to the leader they want him to be, but it is unclear what their true motives are.

To me this story was all about exploring just how much control we have over our own lives. We are influenced, starting at a very young age, by the people and leaders all around us and our decisions are made based on the things we learn from them. How much are we manipulated into doing exactly what others want us to do? How often are are decisions based solely on what we want and should they ever be?

I really enjoyed this book but I am still unsure if I want to read the next book. I liked how it ended and I am unsure where the story will go from here. 

Anyway, I thought this was a great Sci Fi book. One of the best I've ever read! And it looks like they are turning it into a movie... I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this story! I need to read it again, soon. Todd stayed up all night to finish it. That ending--wow! :) I haven't read any of the others but always wondered if I should, or if they would just cheapen the wow-factor of the first book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed up way too late to finish it too. But it was worth it. and I agree about the ending which is why I'm not sure about reading the other books.

      Delete
  2. I know people who really loved the whole series. For
    Me personally I didn't like the others nearly as much. They really had nothing to do with the story line in Enders game and were kind of odd. The one I want to read is the one he wrote years later that tells the story of what happens to ender after the big wars. The other books take place long after that final battle

    ReplyDelete