Thursday, February 16, 2012

Unwind

Unwind
by Neal Shusterman

This book takes place in the future where a second civil war as been fought between pro-life and pro-choice groups. To end the war a law was passed which protected life from the moment of conception until the age of thirteen. Between the ages of 13 and eighteen parents could choose to unwind their children. A process that in the eyes of the law kept them alive because every part of the child was given to varies donors. The story follows three unwinds as they try to change their fate.

Honestly, I had a hard time at first accepting the premise of this book and balked at the idea the society would allow something this terrible to happen. Then I remembered that this wasn't the first Sci Fi book I have read where the rules of society had changed drastically. For example, Hunger Games is one of my all time favorite books and it's society puts children in an arena for a fight to the death. So I reminded myself that this was Sci Fi and that I don't have to accept the premise as being completely believable to enjoy the book. 

I ended up really enjoying this book. I thought the characters were interesting. They certainly weren't perfect (What teenager is?) but I grew attached to them. I found myself rooting for them and their survival.  I was still applaud that parents would ever be ok with the idea of unwinding but that helped me understand even better the anger that the unwinds felt.

This was a well written and thought provoking book. Just as you might imagine for a book that pits pro-life against pro-chioce, there were discussions about religion, souls and unwanted babies but not in way I found offensive at all. I thought he did a great job of portraying all the different view points out there so I didn't feel like he was forcing me to pick a side. I had my opinions about abortion before I started reading the book and that opinion did not change after reading it. I remember worrying at one point that this was going to turn into an argument for pro-choice groups but really all he has done is show what can happen when things are taken to the extreme.

If you are looking for something unique this is an excellent choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment