Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours
by Kate Morton

"... the friends contained within bindings, page after glorious page of ink, stories that unfold the same way every time but never lose their joy, that take me by the hand and lead me through doorways into worlds of great terror and rapturous delight. "

I loved this quote. I'm not sure if I could describe any clear the way a great book makes me feel.  One of the characters was describing her love of books and I felt an immediate connection to this character and her story.

This was a wonderful novel.  I was completely consumed by this book. Seriously, little else has matter to me other then finding out what happened to the Blythe sisters. My poor house as been neglected and I was happy to let my children play with play-dough all morning so that I could finish this story.  Some books just become all consuming for me and the best thing for me to do is read them as quickly as I can so that I can get back to normal. 

Kate Morton has an amazing way with words. It was so easy to visualize the events and places she described that I felt like I was a part of the story. She jumps from past to present with such ease and slowly the story unfolds, revealing dark, hidden secrets.

I loved the gothic atmosphere of this story, which follows the mysterious lives of three sisters who live in a castle in the country side. There are secret passages, ghostly voices, buried secrets, a decaying castle and a family history of mental illness. What's not to love? 

Their secrets begin to unravel after a letter is delivered fifty years late to a women who spent a year with the family in her youth. Her daughter feels drawn to the castle and the things her mother has not told her about all these years.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fantastic mystery. Every time I thought I had figured out the mystery, a new secret would be revealed and I would be left wanting to know more. If you like gothic mysteries, you will love this book.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation--I put this one on hold at the library and am (impatiently!) waiting for it to be available.

    ReplyDelete