Monday, February 20, 2012

Cut

Cut
by Patricia McCormick

This is a story about a young girl at a treatment facility because she cuts herself. It is written from her perspective and it gives a peek into her thoughts. She rarely speaks through out the novel so most of the story is her describing how her situation makes her feel and how she then deals with it.

She even refers to her therapist as you. For example I didn't tell you or I was waiting at your door, so it really felt like I was reading her thoughts and not just something she would write in a journal. It took me a little bit to get used to the way it was written but I thought it really worked for this story.

This book is only 168 pages so it was a really quick read. I think it would be a great book to read if you had a few hours and wanted read a book from beginning to end in one sitting. I was fascinated but her story and wanted to find out what started her down the path that ended with her at a treatment facility. 

I wished there had been more when the book ended. Which is a good thing right? It meant that I cared about her and her story, which is always a sign of a good book to me.

I felt like I didn't get the entire story because in the book you learn only how she saw the situation. I wanted more details about her family situation and more of a resolution. Not that there isn't some resolution because there is and really when I look back on how the book is written the ending makes sense since it is her thoughts that she is sharing and not a journal or a telling of her story. You would almost need an outside source to get all the information. There are times that the therapist asks her about her family and her response is "isn't that in your files," and of course you never get to read or see into the files so you kind of have to fill in the blanks along the way, based on other things she says.

This was a very interesting story and a really enjoyed reading it. There is something about reading these types of novels that help me gain a greater understanding and compassion for those who suffer from mental illness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment