Friday, February 17, 2012

Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride
By Sarah Dessen

This book was basically about a teenager, who spends the summer before heading off to college trying to find herself.  I wasn't sure how I would like this type of book since it is not my usually fare but I found the main character, Auden, very relatable. It didn't take me very long to become wrapped up in her summer adventures as she tries to do the things she never got to do in high school.

I'm not sure if I can really put into words why I found her character so relatable. Her family life and high school experiences were different then mine but for some reason I could still relate to how she was feeling. The only similarities in our experiences were that I also did not go to my Prom and I did not have a lot of dating experiences in high school. I found myself really liking her and even when I thought she was doing something stupid, I could still understand why she made the choices she did.

I also really related to her stepmom, Heidi, as she tried to deal with a colicky newborn. Anyone who has taking care of a newborn can attest to how difficult it can be but taking care of  a baby with colic is a completely different experience. I know because I've done both and taking care of my colicky son was probable the hardest thing I have ever experienced. The extreme lack of sleep and consent crying have a major effect on you emotionally and physically. Something that I'm not great at explaining but I thought this book described it perfectly. I found myself crying along with Heidi, as I remembered the days when I could no longer handle it and just cried inconsolably.

Anyway, enough about me. I really enjoyed this book, even though it was about teenagers being teenagers, because it was so much more them that. Auden learns so much about herself in this novel and I really loved reading about how it changes her outlook on life. This was definitely a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment