Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
by Stieg Larsson

It took me long time to get through the first part of this book. I think it took me 3 days just to read the first chapter. The author spends a lot of time developing the characters and the background for the events of the story. A lot of time. The first 30 plus pages are about the economic and business world of Sweden which for me was really hard to get through. 

This is a very complex story which intertwines the lives of three different people who are brought together for a single purpose. Because of this there is a lot of time spent exploring the lives of those different people. It was almost like three stories in one which is probably why it took so long to develop the story.

I decided to stick with it because I keep hearing about this book and wanted to find out what it was all about. As I read through the first few chapters I started getting little glimpses into what the story was going to be about and those glimpses made me want to read more. By the time I got to chapter 7, I was completely hooked to the story and read with much more interest. I really wanted to know what happened to Harriet Vanger. 

It turned out to be a great crime drama and I really enjoyed how the story unfolded and the climax was great. But after the family mystery was finally solved, it felt like it took just as many chapters to wrap up all the other parts of the story. So I enjoyed the book but I wish it had moved a little faster. Despite that, I am definitely interested in reading the next book.

This story did contain some very sadistic people, who do terrible things to others. There are some pretty graphic rape scenes in this book and some strong language. So keep that in mind if you plan on reading this book. 

2 comments:

  1. My sister couldn't get through this book because of the rape scenes. So I've been trying to decide if I want to read it and the following ones. Still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they were pretty hard to read.

    ReplyDelete