Friday, October 14, 2011

At Risk

At Risk
by Patricia Cornwell

I was talking to a friend about how much I have been enjoying the Temperance Brennan novels because I find the forensics fascinating. She suggested I check out Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels. She said enjoyed reading them and the main character Kay Scarpetta is a forensic pathologist.

I actually found this book at a garage sale for 10 cents and decided to give it a try even though it was not one of her Scarpetta novels. I figured I could see if I like her style of writing and if her stories were as interesting as my favorite forensic crime solving books.

Maybe that was a bad idea because after reading this book I have no desire to read any of her other books. I wish I could find something good to say about this book but honestly there was nothing about it that I liked.

I found the plot to be confusing and not well developed. One moment they were trying to solve a crime and the next moment the crime was solved, everything neatly explained. There was mention of DNA analysis but other then that there was very little actually forensics in the book. It just felt like there wasn't much to the story. Plus I did not like any of the characters in the book and found that I did not care if they were successful or not. 

Maybe her Scarpetta novels are better. Maybe they have likable characters. Maybe the plots are more interesting and better developed. But after reading this one I don't think I will be trying them anytime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment