Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel


The True Story of Hansel and Gretel; a novel of war and survival
by Louise Murphy

I thought that this was a unique and poignant way to tell a story about the Holocaust. 

We all know what horrific and terrible things happened during World War 2 but for me it became even more real and disturbing, reading about these events. In fact, I had to stop reading before I went to bed at night because I found many of the events to be so heartbreaking.

It is really hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea that someone would think to treat another human being in such a despicable way.

This story takes place in German occupied Poland and follows the lives of two Jewish children and the people who are determined to save them, despite the death sentence that they would face if caught. I thought the use of the fairy tale to tell this story was really neat. It was interesting to watch the fairy tale evolve into a tale of survival. 

I learned a lot from this book about not only the treatment of the Jewish people, but the treatment of the Polish. They had such hard lives and lived in such fear, it really was heartbreaking. I definitely shed a few tears for them.

The overall message of this book was the idea that Love is so important and the hope it brings. We all need to be loved and to love in return. Isn't that the truth? It is so important in our lives!

This novel really brought this subject to life for me and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn what it must have been like to live in Poland during World War 2. 

2 comments:

  1. Hansel and Gretel was one of my favorite fairy tales growing up. To think that a fairy tale can be transformed into something else is quite impressive. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will definitely look at the story in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete