Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To read or Not to read...

So I do this thing where I finish a book even if I end up not liking it. I don't know why but I feel like I need to finish something when I start it. I do the same thing with movies. I think I have only stopped watching maybe 2 movies in my entire life. I'll finish the book or movie and wonder why I waste my time watching/ reading something I didn't enjoy. For some reason I still want to know how the story ends but then it ends and I am left disappointed.

As you know from my last post,  I start reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  and I was excited to see what it was all about. It turns out that I find the whole thing to be silly and the writing to be juvenile. They took Jane Austin's story (which I adore), simplified the writing and added zombie fighting though out. 

I know that Jane Austin can be hard to read because of the language but that style is what gives those stories their charm. I like reading about the characters and discovering who they are. Instead, in this book, you are told what to think of the different characters and the story is so simplified that the characters are uninteresting.

I think that I may break my rule and not finish the book this time. I just don't think I can read anymore. There are so many more books out there that I want to read.

That being said, someone with no experience reading Jane Austin and who enjoys Zombie stories would probably really like this book. It just isn't for me.

1 comment:

  1. I give books 50 pages to catch me and then I'm done with them. I give movies 30 minutes and then I turn them off. Good for you for finishing what you start! But good for you for giving up on this book--I haven't heard anything good about it from anyone! :)

    ReplyDelete