Thursday, August 25, 2011

Booking Through Thursday- History

This weeks BTT started with some thoughts on the subject history and then posed a question. Here is the post from Booking Through Thursday:
Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.
Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.

 And here is my response:

So most of my experience reading historical books has been in school for varies classes. We all know how dull history text books can be. Due to that I do not regular seek out non-fiction, historical books.

But that being said, I love history and find it fascinating. I absolutely adore historical fiction. I really should give historical non-fiction books more of a chance.

I have read a few that I have enjoyed through out the years. I always find the subject matter to be very intriguing but sometimes the writing is still a little too "academic". I want it to read more like a story and less like someones research paper.

The most recent one I read is the Fires of Jubilee by Stephen B. Oates about Nate Turner. You can read my thoughts on the book here.

Funny thing is that I was just talking with my friends to day about different books we like reading and the subject of historical non-fiction came up. My friend recommend a book called The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair the Changed America  by Eric Larson about the First World's Fair and the serial killer who preyed on the women there. It sounds very interesting.

I may have to give History books another look.

No comments:

Post a Comment