Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

This was a really neat book. I have to admit that the cover of this book had me immediately intrigued. A black and white photo of a levitating girl, I could tell that this could be a very interesting read.

The story, itself, turned out to be really fun read. I really enjoyed reading about the peculiar children and thought the idea behind the story was really interesting.

I would have enjoyed the book, even without all the cool pictures through out, but the pictures definitely added to the telling of the story. They were authentic vintage photograph, many of which had a side show feel to them. They actually reminded me of the old circus photos in Water for Elephants but unlike that book they became a central part of the telling of this story. These real photos were used to create a fantastic world about a special group of children. 

I thought it was really neat that the author was able to take these old photos and turn them into an entire story that follows a teenage boy, Jacob, and his search for the truth behind his grandfather's death. 

I enjoyed reading this book and I hope that there is a sequel in the works, because I definitely want to find out what happens next.


For those looking for  good books for kids to read, I thought I should mention that there is some language in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment