Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday


Here is this weeks Book Beginning :

I recently started reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. A couple weeks ago my friend was talking about how they made a movie about this book. I was immediately intrigued because I love a good historical fiction, especially those based in China. I find something about that culture really fascinating. Two days later I found the book at a garage sale for 25 cents and couldn't pass up the deal.

Here are the first few lines:

"I am what they call in our village "one who has not yet died"- a widow, eighty years old. Without my husband, the days are long. I no longer care for the special foods that Peony and the others prepare for me. I no longer look forward to the happy events that settle under our roof so easily. Only the Past interest me now."


This opening immediately grabs my interest. I am excited to hear her story and discover what her past holds. What was her life like and what kind of trials did she face. She has lived a long time so I am sure she has some secrets to share.

Can't wait to read the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment