Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pretty Monsters


Pretty Monsters
by Kelly Link
This was a unique collection of stories. There were ghost stories, sci fi, fantasy, monster stories and each one kept me guessing. I thought that all the stories were just so different and fun that I really enjoyed reading this book.

It reminded me a little of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams because there were fun little random quirks which made these stories so unusual.

My favorites were the stories about the village in the handbag and the girl who collects ghosts on ribbons. I didn't want them to end. They were short stories but I felt like they could really be developed into very interesting novels.

But I don't think that is her style. Many of her endings leave you to decide for yourself how the story plays out. So this collection is great for those who like to use their imagination. I like that they made you think when you finished the story.

This is a young adult book but there is some language and some more mature topics in a couple of the stories. But nothing that I found to be to over the top and I really thought this was a well written collection.

If you are looking for something unique and new to read give these short stories a try!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of short stories, but anything that can be compared to The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy is definitely worth checking out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read short stories often either, but I enjoyed these ones.

    ReplyDelete