Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday


Hosted by A Few More PagesHow to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog. Include the title and the author. Then share your impressions and whether  you liked the sentence.


Here is the book I am starting this coming week:


The True Story of Hansel and Gretel; a novel of war and survival
by Louise Murphy


It begins:

"Caught between green earth and blue sky, only truth kept me sane. but now lies disturb my peace. The story has been told over and over by liars and it must be retold. Do not struggle when the hook of a word pulls you into the air of truth and you cannot breathe.
   For a little while, I ask this of you.
   Come with me."

I find this invitation to hear her version of the story riveting. Even more so because the title of the chapter is The Witch. (I am making an assumption here that the witch is a female.) What kind of truth is she going to enlighten us with?

I am definitely intrigued by this story about two children trying to escape the Nazis.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're right, this is very intriguing. If this beginning is anything to go by, I'd imagine this would be the type of book that could really draw you in and be devoured in just about one sitting. I'd like to read it, so thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete