Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday


 Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence.

Once again thanks to A Few More Pages for hosting this fun Meme.

Summer has been keeping us really busy. With extra hours at work, play dates, swim lessons and house sitting, I just haven't been able to read as much as I would like. So what I am trying to get at is that I am still reading the same book I was reading last week and I haven't even made a plan for what book I am going to read next.





Good thing that Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link is a collection of short stories...

Here is the first couple lines from her short story The Surfer.


"In the dream I was being kidnapped by aliens. I was dreaming, and then I woke up."


I can assume from these first lines that this story is going to be about aliens but then again I am never sure where she is going with her stories, so I may be surprised. I would say that these first couple lines have me wondering who is dreaming and if he/ she is really dreaming. I am definitely interested in discovering what surfing and aliens have to do with each other.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri,

    I get weeks like that, where you just can't seem to get through books as quickly as you would like, whilst other bloggers seem to be posting reviews nearly every day!!

    Your latest book certainly sounds like a fun read and has been getting some great reviews along the way.

    Both our books this week start off with someone dreaming, then waking up, so maybe that's an omen that they will both turn into good stories, I hope so!!!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, interesting beginning. It does raise questions, doesn't it?

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete