Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sorcery and Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot


Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot
by Patricia C Wrede, Caroline Stevermer

My Aunt Cindy just recently became a reviewer for Squeaky Clean Reads so I decided to check the website out and see what kinds of books she had reviewed.

There were a couple books she reviewed that caught my eye and this was one of them. In her review she described this book as a cross between Jane Austin and Harry Potter, so of course I was immediately intrigued.

This was a delightful story to read. I'm surprised I have never heard of this book before  since it was written in 1988. I am glad that it was brought to my attention because it is a great book.

This is a charming tale about two cousins who write to each other over a summer about there ongoing adventures. The story is set in Victorian times but most of the action in this book revolves around magic and wizards.  I loved all the different characters and surprisingly liked the format of the book. I was a little worried I wouldn't like a book written in letter format but I really enjoyed it. 

One of the most intriguing things about this book is that it started as a letter game between two friends. They exchanged letters as if they were these characters, one writing as Cecelia and one writing as Kate, but did not tell each other where they were going with the plot. At the end of six months they realized they had created a novel out of their game. 

I am glad that these two Authors decided to have a Letter Game because the story that came out of it is a really fun book. I couldn't put it down. I just had to know what was going to happen to these two cousins. I love books set in this time era, there is just something endearing about this setting. They are just so romantic and there is always some charming gentlemen involved. This book is no exception plus there is some magic thrown into the mix.

If you love Jane Austin and Harry Potter you should definitely check this book out. I certainly enjoyed reading it.


2 comments:

  1. I discovered this gem a few years ago. It's a great little story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I thought of another series you might like: "The Hollow Kingdom" by Clare Dunkle. There are 3 books in the series and I really enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete