Monday, June 27, 2011

The Help


The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

I kept hearing about this best seller and finally put it on hold at the Library a couple weeks ago. I figured it would take a while for me to get it because it was so popular so I was surprised when it was waiting for me at the library a week later. Of course I had checked out a couple other books thinking that it would be a month or longer before I got it. Luckily it didn't take long to read those other books so I was able to read this book before I had to return it. 

This book brought tears to my eyes. One of those moments when something amazing happens and you just feel like you know how the characters must feel. Not many books touch my heart and make feel so emotionally connected to the characters. I thought this was an amazing story.

It is told through the eyes of three different women, two black maids and one white women, living in Mississippi during the early 1960s. It tells the story of how their lives become intertwined as they join forces to bring what the life of a black maid is like to the masses. I learned about Civil Rights and segregation in school but I found this story to be even more eye opening. I honestly could not believe that someone would treat another human being in that manner.

I couldn't put this book down. Every free moment I found myself picking it up so I could read more. I really grew to love these three women. I know this story is fictional but I really grew attached to them and felt like I knew how they felt. They each brought a different perspective to the story. This is such a well written novel.

This is a great book and if you haven't read it yet you should take time to. This book is definitely worth your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment