Thursday, June 16, 2011

Booking Through Thursday

With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.
How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

I truly think that some people will be very excited about all these new possibilities. Everyone is looking for the latest tech toys to use. I can see this actually getting more people interested in reading who might otherwise not make the time in their schedule or who are not normally big readers.

For me I don't know if I would even use the extra goodies that might be added. I don't need my books to be more interactive. I love reading because I get to use my imagination, because for me books create a whole new world for me to explore.

Even on DVD's I often don't watch any of the extras unless something really special catches my eye. I am sure the same would hold true with books. I wouldn't watch or use the "extras" unless something about the book really peaked my interest.

Of course I read mostly fiction so I could see non-fiction books or maybe even historical fictions having interesting interactive options. You could learn more about the place or the time period, etc.

And I have to say I absolutely love my Kindle. It is so easy to transport, it is lightweight, I can read anywhere with it and I can find almost any book at the the tip of my fingers. I also love that I can  download the classics for free. For me it is just as enjoyable as reading a real book. I don't use any of it's extra features though but someday I may...

No comments:

Post a Comment