Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday


Share the first line or two of the book you are currently reading and then if you feel so inclined share what your first impressions were and if you liked the sentence. Included the title and author so everyone knows what you are reading. Hosted by A Few More Pages.

The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

Here are the first 4 lines.

"Mae Mobley was born on an early Sunday morning in August, 1960. A church baby we like to call it. Taking care a white babies, that's what I do, along with all the cooking and the cleaning. I done raised seventeen kids in my lifetime. "


I was immediately intrigued by these first few lines. The first line made me interested in finding out more about Mae Mobley but once I read the next few lines I  realize that I was even more interested in finding out more about the person who raised her. It is clear that this is not a story about Mae Mobley and  I am excited to see where this story takes me. I really enjoy a good historical fiction, which is how I would categorize this book, and just from these first few lines I could tell this was going to be a very interesting read.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my--"The Help" is one of the greatest books I've ever read! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such great things about The Help! I hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete