Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Leviathan


Leviathan 
by Scott Westerfeld

I chose this book for two reasons. The first reason was that it is a steampunk novel and the second was that I really enjoyed his Uglies/Pretties series.

Steampunk is a blending of science fiction and history. The name comes from the fact that it often includes Victorian age social and technological  elements such as steam power. The books can be set in that era in history or a world that contains Victorian elements.

I first discovered this genre while reading one of my Favorite blogs Epbot.com. If you click on the link it will take you to some cool pictures of Steampunk style weddings and give you an idea of what Steampunk is, if you are unfamiliar with the genre. Fascinating stuff!

So when I saw that Scott Westerfeld wrote a steampunk novel I decided that I had to check it out and lucky for me my Library had it.

I try really hard not to compare an authors other books but honestly it is really hard not to. Especially when I enjoyed his other series so much. It is a great Sci Fi series!

I though the story was interesting but I just did not enjoy it as much as his other books. I didn't love the characters and the story was a little slow moving for me.

The steampunk aspect of it was very interesting. It was set during the beginning of World War I and both sides have developed scientific advances that could help them win the war.

I do think this a book that both boys and girls could enjoy.  I thought it was nice that there were two main characters, a boy from the Clanker view point who are all about mechanical advancements and a girl from the Darwinst viewpoint who are all about creating new animal life forms.

But overall I was a little disappointed in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment